There are several things happening to me right now that nobody warned me about. After a lot of thinking, I have decided that the women in my life who have had children have decided (a) to block out some of the more embarrassing and odd aspects of pregnancy; (b) they thought it would be really funny to watch me freak out; or (c) I am the only person to ever experience some of this stuff. Now, as much as we all know I like to think it's all about me - we all know I am not the only woman on the face of the planet to ever be pregnant so I'm going to have to rule out c. Which leaves me with option A or B...
Don't worry, I won't share some of the more embarrassing things (I mean, I do have to see you guys from time to time). I have decided to share some of the stuff that maybe other people (pregnant or not) can relate to. I will say this - someone definitely should have warned me about how close my veins were going to be to the surface of my skin - looking into the mirror and seeing a lot of blue has really caused me some MAJOR moments of panic.
One thing I really wasn't prepared for is how awkward I feel. I can hear all of you saying - she thinks she feels awkward now - just wait. I know, I know! But honestly, hearing that doesn't help me AT ALL! I already feel awkward and I'm just 5 months along. It's just going to get worse. I get it, but I have to be honest - doesn't make me feel better. I don't think that my baby bump is big enough for me to feel awkward just yet. Not one person told me that I would feel awkward at all - let alone this soon.
Nobody warned me that my baby bump was going to get in the way. Have you tried getting really close to the bathroom mirror - but couldn't? I experience this EVERY DAY! Yup, EVERY DAY! My bump gets in my way at work - can't get that close to my desk; can't reach into cabinets at home. It's crazy. Every time it happens, I think what is the problem and every time it happens, I am just as shocked to find out that the reason I can't do whatever is because of my bump.
Another thing that nobody told me is how deeply I would be affected by the life events happening to those around me. For example, Jenn got engaged to Josh. Jenn called me and I cried - even though we all had a feeling it was going to happen soon. It was so sweet! My friend Emily is getting married in 3 weeks (I know she is reading this right now, thinking holy crap - 3 weeks). Seeing her in her wedding dress - she is absolutely beautiful (even though right now she is thinking of all of her hips). Even now, I get a little choked up. Now, don't get me wrong - I don't always end up in tears. A couple of weeks ago, I freaked out in a Wal Mart card section explaining to the hubby the importance of picking out the right card for Madison - who started kindergarten this year. He just didn't get it. I still don't think he does, but I was starting to make a scene talking about how it was a good thing that Madison and Jacob have me as an aunt because I understand the importance of a card for kindergarten.
Well, in other NOT so traumatic news, on Wednesday I went to the doctor. I have to say, I'm beginning to think that guy isn't going to do anything until it's time for the baby to be born. He didn't even measure me. He did say that everything looks great. At my next appointment I get to have an ultrasound. Hopefully the baby will cooperate so that we can find out if it's a he or a she.
Ha! I told you I cried all the time! (Um, that really doesn't totally go away after you have the kid, FYI.) I didn't have the vein thing, but all my face freckles ran together into that "pregnancy mask" and they still haven't recovered. I just look sun damaged. You can practice your ninth-month walk by clamping your knees together tightly and waddling back and forth across the room quickly. That simulates the pregnant got-to-potty walk.
ReplyDeleteI am learning a lot from your pregnancy wisdom for my later use (hopefully). Keep it coming no matter how scary it is. It's so exciting knowing that you will soon know what gender baby Krantz is. Do you and Matt have nickname for him/her yet?
ReplyDeleteAs I am sure Matt has shared with you, the running joke was always that he "didn't get it." So, someone should have warned you to be prepared for that too! I can't wait to find out what you guys are having!
ReplyDelete